Re: WIKI servers - a new kind of collaborative device

Author:Bernie DeKoven
Posted:2/22/1999; 5:47:06 PM
Topic:Technography On-Line, an experiment

There are several other organizations that have taken the same strategy. A good resource is http://www.gdss.com/ An excellent resource for exploring this and related interventions is http://www.usabilityfirst.com/groupware/

In fact, in many of these facilities they call the person who interactes with the technology the technographer.

These systems have not had much success yet because most of them exist within a corporate climate that does not truly support or reward collaboration.

They are also designed for meetings that are not actually consensus-driven, and though they provide results, they are generally used to support meetings that are not specifically result-oriented. They make great use of voting, for example, but voting does not produce consensus, though, in the right setting, it informs the consensus.

I make it key in my definition of technography that these two aspects. are what technography is there to enable: consensus and results.