Just-In-Time content

Author:Chuck Shotton
Posted:2/23/1999; 8:14:04 AM
Topic:Just-In-Time content

Something cool is happening today!

BIAP's Gossip product is now delivering "just in time" content thru the dynamic version of Scripting News. This is a prelude to another pilot project to get Buck's restaurant wired up with real-time, agent driven content showing up in displays at diners' tables.

Here's what is going on behind the scenes. Gossip's software agents, running on a machine in Virginia, crawl the net for interesting content. Types of data suitable for publication are then sent in real-time via XML-RPC to Userland's server, where it is merged with dynamic pages where appropriate.

The current agent-provided content is limited to US stock market data. Where we need help is in figuring out what other sorts of information would be useful or interesting to diners at Buck's. The agents can dredge up just about anything that is on-line, but we need to have some clue as to what sort of content to cycle through the screens in front of people.

The data needs to be something that is reasonably dynamic and is produced reliably on a regular basis, somewhere on the Web. Suggestions? Comments?