Re: domains vs doctree in mainresponder

Author:David Theige
Posted:2/24/1999; 10:11:11 AM
Topic:domains vs doctree in mainresponder

Christopher Short: I realised today, that you don't even need a top level site - you just need a control structure, and a vanilla GDB works just fine - with the entries being the addresses for the sites. Or the entry can be a filespec - whatever structure you're site is in.

I just implemented this method on my server. It works! I like it...a lot. One of the advantages of this method is that it enables much shorter URLs without requiring registration of virtual domains. Specifically, it solves a problem for me with htmlInterfaces.discussionGroup. I hate the URL <http://myServer/htmlInterfaces/discussionGroup>, but currently indexing discussion group messages for the search engine works only if you have the website at htmlInterfaces.discussionGroup. Now, I've got the messages stored in a root where the indexing routines expect them, but I've got my preferred URL <http://myServer/discuss/>. Yeah!