scriptingNews outline for 2/25/99

Author:Dave Winer

Greg Pierce asks When will we reach Nirvana?

Updated: suites.slideshow. Makes it easy to do presentation-style websites using Frontier's outliner.

Here's an example of a slideshow produced with the suite.

Component-Net, publishers of DominoPower and PalmPower, are looking for a Frontier programmer to help with their publications, in or near Princeton NJ.

HyperSpace uses "existing technology to deliver improved bandwidth from the web server to the clients browser without impacting the infrastructure of the web or the web server."

CNN: Top 100 Stories of the 20th Century.

CNN: New Nixon tape transcripts released on Web.

From the Hell Hath No Fury Department.. Chris Nolan at the SJ Merc takes several shots, probably well-deserved, in the last section of her current column. Hi Chris!

However, Chris raises a serious issue. There's a new site called www.davenetics.com, that's a clear ripoff of DaveNet. I've been writing and linking on the Net using the DaveNet name since 1994. Be original guys. This is very confusing, as Chris points out.

However, I realllly like their template! Nice green color, fast loading, they have rounded corners on the tables. Excellent design! Which raises an interesting question. If it's OK for them to copy my name, is it OK for me to copy their design? I'd love to hear from someone at "Davenetics".

News.com: Broadband ISP Road Runner searches for CEO.

Dan Bricklin, one of the two authors of VisiCalc, has an excellent website on the history of the first personal computer spreadsheet. I was there! I remember my first demo of VisiCalc. "This is god!" I said to myself. Like a lot of people who had dreams of what PCs could become, that first glimpse changed the way I think forever.

Dan has a scan of Ben Rosen's review of VisiCalc in his newsletter, which was the precursor to Esther Dyson's RELease 1.0. (REL stands for Rosen Electronics Letter.)

Dan is speaking on March 3 at the San Jose Tech Museum.

1/4/95: Demoing Software for Fun & Profit.