Re: Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

Author:Marc Canter
Posted:2/27/1999; 11:49:10 AM
Topic:Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

That's what Visio does - a sort of outliner - whiteboard. But I'm not sure if they've done a collaborative version yet.

I myself am a bit more freeform, I wouldn't mind mixing and matching 'data types' - but then that increases the complexity of the tool. When I've done outliner based meetings, it's been very structured and only ideas that can be represented as words - usually bulleted - make it into the 'record' or the 'visualization' of the meeting.

While my MOST productive meetings have been with very smart people in a room, with a whiteboard - literally(I'm the guy who keeps swtiching colored markers, and adding little doodads and swirls all over the board..)

So I think Bernie wants to move beyond that - if I can be so bold as to deduce that. He wants to combine the power of outlining, with the structuring of databses and content management, with the remote capabilties of chat and discussion groups with.....

With the proliferation of whiteboard software, it's clear that:

- that they're easy enough to program (I can remember similar, graphic based collaboration tools - that my ex-partner Jay Fenton did with Alan Kay's Vivarium project in the late '80's)

- we/you/somebody could be a collaborative outliner

- that other forms of 'Technography' tools are possible