ad blocking and search.userland.com

Author:michael j lawley
Posted:3/2/1999; 6:11:55 AM
Topic:ad blocking and search.userland.com

An interesting follow-on to the MSIE 5beta, Blue Mountain dispute: I've just determined why search.userland.com always seemed less than useful to me. It seems the links it uses to point at matching pages are of the form redir.*?http://.* which happens to be one of the regular expressions that comes, by default, with the ad-blocking utility I use.

I now face the dilemma of (still) not being able to effectively use search.userland.com or reducing the effectiveness of my ad-blocker.

I'm also left wondering why these redirection links are being used rather than direct links. Is there some kind of feedback mechanism being used to improve the search engine's effectiveness?