Re: Having had broadband for a while...

Author:Lixian B. Chiu
Posted:3/2/1999; 10:24:57 AM
Topic:Snappy!

>After all, you can always get a faster >computer and a faster net connection. (If history and Dr. Moore are >good predictors of the future.)

Computers should be able to get faster w/o any problem, I guess. But net connection ...

I heard about ADSL is coming almost 2 years ago, and now I finally can get it in my area. It sounds very promising at first glance. The problem is, ten blocks away from my house, my friend will not be able to get an ADSL. I can walk to his house in 20 minutes, but yet the phone companies has been able to equipped his house with ADSL capability. When he called, they couldn't even give him a projected date.

Then there is cable modem, my neighborhood (Queens in NYC) is served with TimeWarner's cable services, but they haven't said a word about when we will have cable modem.

It's very easy to upgrade a computer. The computer vendors, of course, must put down some investment. But the computer industry is segmented into many different sectors, so a computer manufacturer need only invest into improving a small part in a new computer. The CPU will be improved by the CPU supplier, disk technology will be handled by disk vendors, video chip will be handled by their manufacturers ... On the other hand, upgrading net connection is another story. The telcos has to eat most of the initial cost. Without some strong competition, they will be less willing to upgrade their network.