Re: Where to Use Broadband

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:3/2/1999; 1:02:40 PM
Topic:Snappy!

I've had very high speed access for years at work - DS3 or something like that now; I just know that I can download at 150MB/second from the right servers - but I don't want bandwidth intensive apps. More bandwidth doesn't mean the wait goes away. I still wait for pages from Yahoo, scripting.com, or wherever, because there are bottlenecks all over the internet, not just between me and my ISP.

I want applications that work quickly and pages that come up in under the magic 1 second (which Jakob Nielsen reports is what traditional HCI research shows users are prepared to tolerate, see http://www.useit.com/papers/responsetime.html)

In other words, when you have lots of bandwidth, you do more, more quickly. I spend less time waiting and more time working. Only if it'll download in less than a second am I prepared to tolerate a pretty interface.