Where to Use Broadband

Author:Karl Fast
Posted:3/2/1999; 11:49:02 AM
Topic:Snappy!

It seems to me that broadband applications like this new Mail to the Future interface have a place, but let us distinguish between the application interface and the viewing interface.

I would love to have a powerful and rich GUI tool for creating, editing, and publishing documents live to a web server. I'm thinking of something like HomeSite/BBEdit in my web browser. Or perhaps something like the Frontier outliner. This is a tool that I and other authors and publishers would use (and a Java applet isn't what I want), but regular readers would not.

Just because I have a powerful GUI for authoring, one that requires broadband, doesn't mean I should use a similarly demanding interface for viewing documents. Consider the Userland discussions. I like the simple faster interface for reading messages, but I could see having a richer broadband interface for creating and editing messages.

And I do have high speed access. Have for a long time now. I live in what most people would call a technological backwater -- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (treat yourself to a big cappucino if you know where that is) -- but have had high speed access via ADSL for 2 years and cable modem access for 18 months. ADSL was initially $100 CDN a month (about $70 US). It's now about $60 CDN a month. The cable modems are even cheaper -- $40 CDN a month, or about $28 US.