MTTF Server Gotchas

Author:David Shinpaugh
Posted:3/2/1999; 6:28:15 PM
Topic:Mail to the Future Server Functionality

This week we installed a brand new MTTF server for the first time.

This new installation had 3 major hiccups that we should be aware of when considering setting up MTTF on new servers, and documenting that process.

1) We had to manually create a mailToTheFutureMembers group in mainresponder before signups will work.

2) We had to modify the addMessage routing to create the MailToTheFuture table in the user's account if it one doesn't exist (the case when a user creates his first message)

3) Danger in bolting the mailer to a mail server with SPAM filtering. MTTF Is not compatible with some configurations of SPAM Filtering.

In the SPAM filter config in the mail server we had pointed MTTF to wouldn't send messages unless either the FROM user had a mailbox on the server or the TO user had a mailbox on the server.

It's not clear yet whether we can configure a mail server's SPAM filter to allow ANY user TO/FROM as long as the mail request came from within a network, or specific IP address.

David