Re: Having had broadband for a while...

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:3/2/1999; 4:20:32 PM
Topic:Snappy!

'Tis better to have had broadband and lost, than to never have had it at all.

I live in Seattle. I'd say that there are some technical problems too, probably related to a shortage of people that understand broadband networking to run the whole system. I had USWest's DSL for a month, and while I had it it was great. It was a royal pain to get it through USWest's ordering process, (~3 months or so) but once it was turned on it was great. According to the local buisness oriented phone companies, most of USWest's good people left (to go to the competitors) during one of their cutbacks.

Unfortunately for me, between the time that I ordered the service and when they installed it, I found a house I loved and bought it. ETA on dsl at my new place? Early may. (5 months from the move date) The delay is reportedly a mixture of equipment shortages and people to install it.

TCI doesn't serve my neighborhood, and even if they did, they have an allergic reaction to servers. Even _mention_ the word server and they go into fits. It would be nice if they would understand the appeal of fractional horsepower servers.

If you think modems are bad, just go from a fast connection to a 28.8 connection that doesn't even connect at that half the time due to poor line quality. (There's a line problem, and USWest can't seem to find it)

eric