Please use full addresses

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/4/1999; 7:24:30 AM
Topic:Please use full addresses

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours chasing down a bug reported by a Frontier developer. He said the problem was in the addMessage routine. I went right to mailToTheFuture.addMessage, that was the place that was most obvious to me, and stared and stared at the code. It was right, I remembered writing it, and testing it.

Anyway, it turned out that the problem was in a different addMessage routine, an RPC handler (I should have figured it out, they're coming in thru RPC, not thru the HTML interface. That's where the time was wasted.)

Anyway, as we roll out Frontier 6, we're working with a lot more than Frontier.root now. When reporting a problem, please give us the full address of the object in question. There are addMessage routines all over the place, virtually every new type of content has a connection to messages.