Re: Microsoft exec dissects Linux.

Author:michael j lawley

IMO, the no-brainer solution for Microsoft to "survive" Linux is to embrace completely the implementation of the Win32 APIs on top of the Linux kernel. There is already a very complete GNU implementation under way. If the value proposition for Linux is weak because of a lack of tight integration between applications and the O/S, this would certainly solve the problem. They'd own the application space for this new O/S and could even get out of the O/S business altogether if they so chose. (And given the way they handled their court case, that might not be their decision to make!)

I don't see how this would help MS. With a complete (L)GPL'd Win32 API MS would lose control of it (control of the API is the advantage they get from owning the OS) and would become 'just another Win32 app developer'. While this result might be what everyone and/or the US DOJ wants, I'm not sure Bill would be so happy.