Re: Linux GUI vs. Broadband GUI

Author:Bryant Durrell
Posted:3/5/1999; 8:28:39 AM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

I couldn't agree with Dave more on this issue -- the desirability of a consistent user GUI has been a factor since, well, 1984 and the introduction of MacOS. Tog has some really good intro material on this subject in his books. You gotta give the user a consistent experience. (And this may have been one reason why HyperCard didn't take over the world; no consistent UI.)

So... what about broadband? The broadband MTTF is gorgeous, but the UI Marc developed is, as far as I know, just something he came up with. What's going to stop the next person writing a DHTML app from coming up with something else that's just as good but isn't consistent with what Marc's done? Is this lack of consistent UI a fatal flaw?