Thanks and thoughts on outliners

Author:Scott Rosenberg
Posted:3/5/1999; 8:30:19 AM
Topic:Frontier and PIM's

Thanks for the link to my piece and the interesting comments and posts. I'm getting lots of great e-mail and when the flood subsides I'll try to report here on some of the suggesitons and ideas.

I never used Agenda myself, and back when ThinkTank was going strong I couldn't afford a Mac. By the time I switched my main work to a Mac in the early '90s I think you'd moved on already. But outlining/organizing software is utterly essential to my life, and those of many journalists I know. It's interesting to me that this is an area in which the needs of journalists and those of programmers intersect.

I know I'd be willing to pay a lot more for a really great product of this sort. When it's something you're organizing your whole work life around, you ought to be willing to pay handsomely. On the other hand, I also think that the unique nature of each person's needs in this area -- I want just *this* kind of program, you want that kind -- makes it tough for any company to sell in the kind of numbers the industry seems to feel constitutes "viability" today.