Re: Thanks and thoughts on outliners

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/5/1999; 8:37:07 AM
Topic:Frontier and PIM's

I know I'd be willing to pay a lot more for a really great product of this sort. When it's something you're organizing your whole work life around, you ought to be willing to pay handsomely. On the other hand, I also think that the unique nature of each person's needs in this area -- I want just *this* kind of program, you want that kind -- makes it tough for any company to sell in the kind of numbers the industry seems to feel constitutes "viability" today.

Right on! You got it.

We have an interesting opportunity right now. Frontier's outliner keeps getting better and better. And we're training hundreds of programmers to customize the environment. You could get a bunch of different flavors of organizers built on the same base.

It's enough to get me excited about outliners again!

BTW, ThinkTank came out first for the Apple II, then PC-DOS, and then the Mac. So our paths did cross, probably. ThinkTank/PC came out in 1984. I have a copy of it here somewhere. I think it still runs on Window NT4, amazingly.