Re: Outliners, Open Source, and common interfaces

Author:Jason Gerry
Posted:3/5/1999; 10:12:24 AM
Topic:Frontier and PIM's

Personally, I've been writing a lot of Java code lately, and although I have found an acceptable text editor for Windows (UltraEdit), it can still be tedious. Sometimes, I really long for an outliner/text editor to write all kinds of code, which is basically just bits and pieces of methods/functions/subroutines, depending on your paradigm. It's all indented, neatly lined up, etc. An outliner is a perfect way to edit that type of text. I'd love to be able to just roll up a particular method and hide all the underlying code, just when I'm sick of looking at it or don't need to look at it. There is a text editor that kind of does this, called CodeWright, I believe, but it was super-clunky in every other way and I wasn't a big fan.

I'd be willing to adopt a full-on outliner to write code, or at least give it a try. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about trying?