Pentagon and Publicity

Author:Adam Butler
Posted:3/5/1999; 12:07:32 PM
Topic:Pentagon and Publicity

Dave asks today:

>CNN: Hackers Target Pentagon Computers. Questions. Why are they >talking about this publicly?

I wondered the same at first. I don't think its unreasonable to suggest, however, that this isn't part of a general US defense/law enforcement policy that makes headlines out of any digital security or cryptography issue when it suits them, then use the headlines later in efforts to reduce privacy and increase official (or rogue) use of wiretaps and digital listening tools.