Re: Outliners, Unix, and Scripting

Author:Dan Lyke
Posted:3/5/1999; 1:30:16 PM
Topic:Frontier and PIM's

Except that many Un*x apps are also built on top of a scripting language (ie: Tcl, Scheme), but that's tied tightly enough to the app that that part of Dave wanting a common interface for tying in another syntax I could understand.

I guess part of it is that as an ex-DOS, now Windows and Un*x developer, I find myself wanting the Un*x style scripting all the time, never the other sort.

And I understand intellectually your problem with accidentally deleting marking information or whatever, I've just always had a much harder time retraining my fingers for a new set of keystrokes than dealing with the fundamental editing tasks. And I'm really beginning to believe that it just just that there's a pretty clean break, and some people think one way, some the other, and ne'er the twain shall meet. Or the first person to bring them together is going to make a lot of people happy.