Re: Linux GUI

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:3/5/1999; 1:48:24 PM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

I agree that Linux has a way to go before the perception of it's user-unfriendliness is surmounted. To some degree, though, what you are asking for is already here (or will be very soon):

Try sitting a Windows user down in front of a Linux machine with a spreadsheet and an emailer and ask them to do some work

If the spreadsheet in question is MS Excel.. well, it'll never happen. If you don't limit yourself to that, though, I'd argue that we are already there. Here at work, most of my co-workers use Netscape Messenger for email. They can switch quickly between the NT, Solaris, and Linux versions with no problems. Corel is porting Quattro Pro to Linux so there is a spreadsheet that will be the same between the two platforms. If you are coming from the Mac, you might be more comfortable using the Wingz spreadsheet.