Re: FrontierOS

Author:Philip Suh
Posted:3/5/1999; 2:18:34 PM
Topic:QNX

Yea, it's a cross-OS Operating System. Heh.

While Frontier has all the parts and pieces of an OS (file-system-like databases, application-like frameworks and suites, etc.) it also has the synergy of all of it's pieces working together that create an environment.

  1. The environment is rich and deep. Plenty of room to play here without switching out of Frontier. The magic for me is working on Win NT, where I am still a newbie, and just maximizing the Frontier MDI; I'm totally at home.
  2. And the environment is extensible--similar to PhotoShop and Quark, but with a much lower entry threshhold. I don't think I'll ever be able to write a Photoshop plugin, but it's pretty easy to create my own suite or mini-app inside of Frontier.
  3. Finally, the environment is self-aware, and also aware of other environments. It was built to work with other apps and OS's; not to try to do everything it's own way. In fact, a good portion of Frontier's functionality is all about talking to other environments--look at how many file verbs there are.

These basic concepts are what make Frontier unique--and uniquely capable of handling whatever task you throw at it.