Re: Linux and winning

Author:Kurt Granroth

I'd rather not learn a new OS, or port all that C code to run on another OS.

Dave, have you considered contracting a Unix port out to somebody who is willing to do such a port?

I can understand your reluctance to move to an unfamilar environment. I know that when I was an "MFC programmer" a few years back, I resisted OWL at any cost. Likewise now, I am so comfortable with Qt that going with an unfamilar wxWindows/Jx/Gtk+/FLTK or even the old MFC would feel unnatural. It is easy to settle into a predictable mode and just cruuuuise.

Still, others don't share your comfort zone. In particular, there are quite a few people that are very comfortable dealing with a Unix environment.

I am thinking, by way of example, of Troll Tech AS (the makers of the Qt toolkit). They have shown time and again their effeciency and proficiency at quickly porting code from a variety of platforms to Unix. The most recent example is their porting of the (Windows) Opera browser in only three weeks (http://www.operasoftware.com/news.html).

Joining forces with a hungry group like this could be a win-win situtation for both parties. You would satisfy those customers that want a Unix version of Frontier (as well as open up an entirely new base of potential customers) and the porting group would get good publicity (and, one would assume, some fee).

The power of Frontier with the stability of Unix. Mmmmm...