Re: Linux and winning

Author:Dino Morelli

I do not have this choice, so I never ever considered Frontier to be something else than a nice text-rendering app... all that funky XML-RPC and search-engine stuff is almost worthless -- too much hassle, when you deal with ISPs who do not want to run NT. (and I can understand this position very well, because ISP have other priorites)

I had exactly this problem about 6 or 8 months ago. I was trying to work up something for an online gaming league to serve pages. I wanted to use Frontier. I had a ton of trouble finding web hosting services who used NT. Or who would put my stuff on an NT box.

It was Unix or take-a-hike, kid. I finally just bailed on the project to be maybe revisited when I had some Unix experience myself. Can't say I blame them. I've been using NT at work for the past 6 months or so for my primary Java development platform. I don't much care for it.

In the past year Java has made a lot of progress. Kinda makes me wonder about the possibility of the UI done in Java. Java runs reasonably well across Windows and Linux. Sun just recently released their 1.2 (Java 2) kit for Linux, I believe. This is the latest, greatest version.

A long time ago I remember Dave writing in DaveNet or something about Sun and Java. He said Sun wanted him to rewrite Frontier in Java or they didn't want to know about it. Something like that, I paraphrase.

Seemed like a ridiculous demand at the time. But now I'm not so sure.

But I really do understand UserLand's misgivings about porting the C to yet another OS. It's a huge bear of a job. Tons of development money pours down that hole. You have to be goddamn-sure it's the right decision. No way is it to be taken lightly.