\"View for Bookmarking"

Author:Nicholas Riley
Posted:3/8/1999; 6:26:22 PM
Topic:Unique vs. Generic URLs

I like the way DejaNews does it. Their interface maintains a lot of state, about the search you're doing, the thread you're in, etc.

So, say, I do a search, and I get to this article:

http://x9.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=449678747&CONTEXT=920946136.667549971&hitnum=1

Ugly! But it lets me go to previous and next articles. I'd also guess the context of the search would time out after a while.

Now, I can click "View for Bookmarking". Then I get this:

http://www.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=449678747

The article number is just like a discussion group number, or something (except DejaNews is much bigger :-) And it'll always be valid, or at least for quite a while.

BTW, I tried posting this message with "View for Bookmarking" in quotes. It bounced me back a macro error in the subject, and then the subject was empty when I went to edit the page. Is this a bug?