Re: Junk in URLs and link-rot

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/9/1999; 8:06:14 AM
Topic:Unique vs. Generic URLs

Hey thanks for the links. I support what you're doing, except I don't like the blue background on your page! ;->

Anyway, not sure what you mean by a web-based database that sort of magically knows how to make sense of behind-the-times sites like www.fortune.com. I guess in a sense it would be turning what's in Lawrence's head into a script and running it somewhere and then linking thru his server. I'm amazed that he has the patience to run down their articles. I prefer to let the links break, and know that my readers are smart, and that they'll figure out that I did the best I could. The only other alternative is to not bother, which is my usual solution for poorly managed sites.

So, maybe you could explain more what you have in mind for the web-based database, and maybe someone around here could build it.

Further, a parsing browser need not be that far away. With MSIE embeddable at least on Windows, and with Netscape open sourced, it might be possible to create a highly customizable browser. I am assuming we will get there someday in the stuff we're developing now, it works nicely, but it'll be much nicer when Frontier and the browser are the same environment.