Re: Junk in URLs and link-rot

Author:Jorn Barger
Posted:3/10/1999; 9:53:57 AM
Topic:Unique vs. Generic URLs

So, maybe you could explain more what you have in mind for the web-based database, and maybe someone around here could build it.

My first reply to this was pretty vague and hard to implement in the short term, but a simpler starting place would be just a database of webzine sites, with publication schedule, archives url, and search url for each.

If someone wants to write a Frontier script that can access such a database, I'll plug in the values I've figured out (various dailies, weeklies, and monthlies, mainly).

A Frontier user would indicate which sites were of interest (ie, 'subscribe'), and the script would wake up when a new issue was due.

Maybe the Scripts menu could have "Go to archive page" and "Go to search page" items, too, that recognised the currently-displayed site.

"Rearrange URL sub-elements into archived-page format" or "Extract persistent URL from local frame for bookmarking" are other possibilities, eventually.

And if the individual's local database can be updated via a shared remote database, then it could also offer newly added zines: "Would you like to subscribe to Brill's Content today?"