Sorry!

Author:Dave Winer

Did you read the MacWEEK article? They pop up a level and took a look at what the rest of the world is doing. My point about WebSTAR was that timing matters. Three years ago the idea of a friendly web server environment was happening. One of the lessons that the software industry teaches us is There's No Time Like Now. People had complaints about the Mac as a server environment. So what? Other people really liked it, like me and many thousands of other people who had old Macs which serve like iron horses, they're so solid and hard to screw up. If Apple gave Chuck a few engineers for a year they could have made it so much better. Chuck has a lot of gifts, but pixel smarts is not one of them! (Sorry Chuck, seems like I'm apologizing a lot today.) The integration of the server in the OS is what Apple is really selling. The dialogs they show look poor compared to what we could have done with MacBird. And we were already deeply invested in the Mac OS, and believe me, we didn't want to port to Windows. Such a shame. That's what I was saying but I didn't want to make the Scripting News home page scroll down to the floor to say it. Thanks for listening.

After reading Chuck's yawning response, that was posted while I was writing this, it occured to me that he is right. If Apple wanted to do something with real-world impact today, they could take the Linux source base and put the Mac APIs on it, Carbon would be fine, and then kick back and watch Mac developers settle the UI question on Linux in short order. But then Steve Jobs, the complete control freak, would have to trust the universe. All his studying of Buddha hasn't taught him that simple lesson.

BTW we're listening to Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks today. Does anyone know who they are? It's corny Long Island Country/Bluegrass. It's very funny stuff.