Re: Gnome vs. KDE vs. X

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:3/11/1999; 1:08:35 PM
Topic:Gnome vs. KDE vs. X

Red Hat is going to be under a lot of pressure to grow Linux into the desktop market and they will make a choice and the market will gravitate to that

This makes the huge assumption that what RedHat says becomes the Linux standard. I'm not yet convinced that that is the case.

Most of the press regarding RedHat being the "leader" of Linux distributions seems very US-centric (big surprise there: most US media don't even know the rest of the world exists unless we are attacking somebody). I seem to remember reading somewhere that RedHat is actually the THIRD largest Linux distribution world-wide and is first only in the US. Pacific HiTech and SuSE are both bigger in total market share.

In any event, of all the major distributions, RedHat and Debian are the only ones that will immediately ship Gnome. The rest already do (or will) ship KDE.

Corel has also been getting a lot of press for their planned "user-friendly" distribution. Their desktop? KDE.

Now I'll admit to being very very biased towards KDE... but saying that Gnome will become the standard just because RedHat chooses it is just wrong.