Re: Why MacOS X Server?

Author:Chris Hanson

I think the point of shipping Mac OS X Server now is that developers who write software for it won't have to work hard to get it up and running on Mac OS X.

Apple has also said that future releases of Mac OS X Server will be based on the Mac OS X core (Mach 3.0 instead of 2.5, Enhanced QuickDraw instead of Display PostScript, Carbon). It doesn't appear to be an end-of-life product.

So if you write for the Toolbox today, you can tweak your code to use Carbon on Mac OS X. If you write for the Yellow Box today, you can tweak your code to run on the updated Yellow Box in Mac OS X.

I think it's a very good idea for Apple to release this now. They need to get something new into developers' hands so people can see some progress with their own eyes, and they also need a native WebObjects development and deployment platform. Releasing Mac OS X Server allows them to do both.

(I just wish they could have done more developer releases. Rumor has it that it was third-party software license fees are what prevented those, not any sort of ill will on Apple's part.)