Re: Paying for data (was Personal Portals)

Author:Philip Suh
Posted:3/12/1999; 3:42:46 PM
Topic:Personal Portals

    As I've been throwing together some (Perl) scripts to do this sort of thing I've been wondering about a long-term implication: How are we going to pay for this data we're extracting? Right now it's either generated as a labor of love (web logs and such) or paid for by advertisement (or at least that's the theory), but in almost every case it's easier for me to remove the ads and just present the data.

    Someday, micropayments will come--and be common, on the web.

    How to do it technologically is someone's challenge, maybe ours.

    Jacob Nielson's talked about this...

    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980125.html