Re: Netscape's Channels

Author:cameron@camworld.com
Posted:3/15/1999; 3:00:13 PM
Topic:Netscape's Channels

OK, so now that I've had a chance to look at how Userland's XML works, I noticed that the formats are surprisingly similar.

In less than half an hour, I had created a Netscape Channel for CamWorld. And, yes, it took me just as long to create a simple XML file for NewsSearch to index.

http://www.camworld.com/rdf/camworld.xml

What I failed to understand the first time I looked at Userland's specs was that you don't need any special app to output a correctly-formatted XML file. You can use BBEdit, or any text-editor for that matter.

It'd be nice for a standard to emerge. I'd hate to see Userland and Netscape start undermining each other's work because of disagreements about how a format should work.

I can't wait to see who else is building XML-compatible files of their sites.

Cameron Barrett

http://www.camworld.com