Re: Unix Envy

Author:Paul L. Bruno
Posted:3/16/1999; 9:02:56 AM
Topic:Unix Envy

I agree about standard API. Multiple widget sets are no good for developers, in this case. They do have to choose. But as yet there isn't enough market mass to make the choice a critical issue. It's kind of like the 'good old days' ;-) before there was a dominant desktop OS. Maybe, with a little luck, the choices don't have to become mutually exclusive, in which case choice will be a good thing.

But I don't think that slight variations in GUI make much of a difference to users. It's user-controlled; you select the window manager you want to use. As long as you don't switch between GUIs, your experience will be consistent.