Re: VAIO subnotebooks

Author:Paul L. Bruno

I used to use a Duo, the Sony VAIO 500s got me looking at this class of laptop again. That and the pain of lugging a second (laptop) bag around. I finally settled on the Toshiba Portege 3015, same form-factor, 266MHz Pentium. Instead of a track pad it has a touch point.

It's like adding a PC magazine to your bag. If you find you don't have to install lots of software all the time, it's convenient since you just leave the external CD-ROM and floppy at home.

Using LILO, I can get into Windows for Frontier, or use Linux for everything else .

Apple should definitely have products in this form factor. By now one of the clones could have had a presence in this market space, but that's just wishful thinking at this point.