Re: The Cathedral and the Bizaar

Author:Daniel Bushman
Posted:3/19/1999; 3:30:05 PM
Topic:QNX

I'm reading the Cathedral and the Bazaar right now. I'm seeing Eric Raymond speak tonight, and I wanted it fresh in my mind. I've been giving the open-source movement a lot of thought lately, as I'm sure most software developers have. And I still have a lot of unanswered questions, as I'm sure many people do. I hope I get a chance to ask some of these questions tonight.

In reading, I've come up with a thought. Something about this all reminds me of rich people and Taxes. As we all know, rich people shouldn't have to pay taxes. Why? because rich people are making those decisions. What do you think they will decide? "should we pay taxes, or be supported by the unwashed masses?", duh. From a UNIX point of view, "should we pay for software, or be supported by the unlearned masses?". duh. "Free software. Pay for service." is a great model for programmers seeing that they don't necessarily need the service. Then again, maybe I'm totally off base here.

I am not against the open source movement. I have a big spot in my heart for new ways of thinking. Then again, I also have a big spot in my heart for feeding my family. I know that open-source people love to jump on this: "Open source doesn't mean there is no money". I really want to find out more about this. What are they talking about? I wish I could sit down and talk with someone that felt like they had a grasp on meeting the necessities of life and giving away software; To really talk with them, not have them preach to me; To talk like friends, and help me work it all out.

Why did I write this? It's just rambling. Guess I'll post it anyway. Why do I talk to myself like that? I don't know, I just do.