Re: Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

Author:Jonathan Hendry
Posted:3/19/1999; 5:38:28 PM
Topic:Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

Chuck,

Do you know who NeXT's customers *were*? Do you know what we use NeXT's software *for*?

I don't expect there would be hundreds of NeXT boxes, with scores of developers, here at First Chicago if it were 'immature'. We certainly wouldn't be risking millions and millions of dollars by running and developing trading software on NeXT's OS.

If your average Mac-based e-commerce website screws up, chances are the impact is pretty minimal. Here, you screw up an order, and you could be talking about a $100 million deal hosed. The importance of using 'mature' systems is at an entirely different level than what's typical for Mac servers.

We certainly wouldn't have stayed with NeXT so long if the tools weren't 'commercial quality'. Let alone paying $5,000 or so per developer seat in order to use those tools.