Linux and heavy duty sites

Author:Eric Soroos

This isn't quite the millions that IBM is mentioning, but say half a million?

I know that Slashdot is run off of linux, and yesterday they served up 539020 pages to 79410 unique IPs ... (from http://slashdot.org/about.shtml) Their images come from a seperate source at a different ISP. Their pages typically are about 50k or so, so they're kicking out some serious bandwidth.

A little while ago they were running this off of a single machine, a dual p-2 266 w/ 256 megs of memory. This machine was running their DB and perl scripts that make up the dynamic content of the site. (Rendered every minute to static pages)

They recently obtained a superhonker of their own (3/8/99), so they may be serving off of that now. (Dual P2/450 with 512 megs of RAM) But I'm sure it's still running linux.