scriptingNews outline for 3/22/99

Author:Dave Winer

Brent is quoted in InfoWorld! "I was a little [annoyed]," said Brent Simmons, a developer at UserLand Software, in Seattle. "[The consolidated Web site] may be easier, but I already knew how to use [the Internic.net] site, as did thousands, if not millions, of other people." Brent's original news-making DG post.

InfoWorld: Yet Another Caching Scheme. Big Zzzzz.

Industry Standard: InterNic Hijacked?

Jakob Nielsen: URL as UI.

InfoWorld: Printers get Web Addresses.

Matt Wrigley's Communist Christmas Joke. A few months early.

News.com: CyberMeals becomes Food.com. National strategy goes local. Competes with Dine-11 and Waiters-on-Wheels.

LinuxWorld: There is more to XML than roll-your-own HTML.

InfoWorld: GNOME builds an Open Interface.

Puget Sound Business Journal: Net frenzy strikes Rivalnet.

MacWorld: Focus on Website Design.

Hamster Blast is a parody of the Hamster Dance. Shockwave.

Steve Jobs introduces Mac OS X Server. QuickTime.

Marc Canter, heard on a random mail list: "Have we forgot Bacchus, Baudelaire, Hemingway, John Belushi? Where's the fun in life - we're all getting old and we need to party more! And remember we don't need drugs or drink or even Yoga - partying is just a state of mind." Thanks for the reminder!

MSNBC: Love Trumps War at the Oscars. "How do you say, it's the hailstorm of kindness of gratitude for you," raved the blissed-out Benigni. "I want to dive into this audience, you know. Your generosity is too much."

NT Times: Slideshow for the Oscars. Neat-O!

Jon Katz: A different kind of enlightenment.

Wired: Here's a glitch for Microsoft to fix.

RFC 2229: A Dictionary Server Protocol.

The DICT Development Group.