the first time i ever saw...

Author:mat wrigley
Posted:3/22/1999; 4:42:32 PM
Topic:the first time i ever saw...

i can remember the first time i ever went on the 'net... i was in paris and i visited the basement of the virgin megastore where they had terminals for hire in their concert ticket department...

i remember being quite underawed by the whole thing... this was back in '95... from a merely aesthetic point of view, the experience was very grey... and link rot had set in even then!...

i'm sitting at home now, on a 486/50 running netscape 3 and writing this in a mail window because i can't be bothered to sit and wait and open another programme... soon i shall splash out on a new number... in the meantime...

yesterday, i uploaded explorerer 5 onto the machine at work and had a squint at a few xml pages just for the thrill of it...

i recently put up a neighbour of my parents who was 18... he was visiting london to do some work experience...

amongst other things, i'm a dj and he had a great time playing with my records... after two days however, he asked me how to tell the difference in speed (33 vs 45) for each record... such a fundamental precept that i'd taken for granted!... he'd only known cds before...

and in some circles, we are coming towards the end of the generation of ppl who can remember the first time they went on the internet...

i can say that i was excited as i loaded for the first time a page rendered in xml... and i was not underwhelmed as i was on my first tryst with the world wide web...

i don't understand it fully... but, like anne shulgin in pihkal - a chemical love story listening to her husband, alexander, talk of chemistry, i get the music...

we are on the verge of a new era - if only...

let's jolly waell have it! :)