Re: InterNic Burns Brain Cells

Author:Eric J. Bowersox
Posted:3/22/1999; 10:53:55 PM
Topic:InterNic Burns Brain Cells

This is one of those times when I'm really glad to have Linux...

janelane:~$ whois userland.com [rs.internic.net]

Registrant: Userland (USERLAND-DOM) 555 Bryant St. #237 Palo Alto, CA 94301

Domain Name: USERLAND.COM [etc., etc., etc.]

No messing around with Network Solutions' Web site or any of their latest marketing fluff...

BTW: I can see, both from the Whois response and Dave's recent postings that he's running through Conxion, as well as his notes about poor performance. I had some recent bad experiences trying to download IE4 updates from them (I just reinstalled everything on this machine). The response was so bad on that connection (due to all the IE5 download traffic, no doubt) that I had to download the updates I needed from Australia, because Conxion in San Jose was clearly hosed, and MS' Web interface provides no way to select another US-based mirror site. Definite poor interface design; I find the Red Hat update model much more palatable. (You FTP the packages, you install them. If the FTP site is full, there's a list of mirrors all over Creation.)

Anyway, now that I've firmly pegged myself as a Linux Geek :-), I'll shut up.

Eric