Re: Technography and dynamic templates

Author:Dave Rogers
Posted:3/23/1999; 11:32:16 AM
Topic:Technography and dynamic templates

Bernie,

You are my hero! I found your site through Scripting News and it has really changed my office life for the better. Since we've started using outlines for running our meetings, I've gotten a lot of praise from people who, like me, were sick of wasting time in meetings. I run many of the meetings at my command, and so I'm fortunate to have the freedom to innovate, and the financial means to do so. We've installed an LCD projector (640x480 :{ - but the the 800x600 just arrived yesterday :) ), a document camera, VCR, networked cpu and wireless keyboard.

On a hardware note, I saw a neat application at the MS trial in Washington. The government was using a document camera that appeared to feed into a video overlay card. Using that setup, they were able to highlight (literally) various portions of embarrassing e-mails for the witness, the judge and those of us in the audience. Pretty neat, less distracting than giant fingers, pens, etc. projected onto the screen. I rather imagine they would be able to print a screendump if they needed to.

But to answer your question, I use hyperlinks in our Word outlines to refer to previous minutes and external documents or websites which either illustrate a point or provide the governing reference for a particular agenda item. (An aside: I haven't found any way to turn MS's ugly "+" and "-" signs into discreet little solid and hollow triangles pointing the appropriate direction. Does anyone know if this can be changed?)

We're still learning how to do this well, but it's exciting to use technology to make these meetings more productive uses of our time.

I haven't brought a koosh ball to a meeting yet, but I'm not sure a bunch of stodgy old Navy Captains are ready for that much fun!

Dave Rogers