VB and RPCs: Is it viable?

Author:Jim De Carli
Posted:3/23/1999; 1:02:02 PM
Topic:VB and RPCs: Is it viable?

I am getting involved with an server application that currently uses RPCs which is written in C. The app uses ISAPI to provide chat capabilities from a “client app” to any browser on a “treated webpage” regardless of what browser is used.

The current “client app” is awful and I would like to rewrite it. I am proficient with VB and not much better than a rookie when it comes to C. Obviously, since I am more proficient in VB I would like to create the client app with it. In your humble opinion, is a VB-to-RPC Server a viable creature? What approach would you recommend? What about using DCOM and RPCs? I’ve started to come across references for VB6 than mention RPCs with SQL Server. Is this the same thing?