Getting Steved

Author:Dave Winer

Considering this, it makes much more sense to release the OS X code than to release MacOS code, which Apple won't be using much longer, and which has significant limitations.

Really? It makes more sense? I have trouble with that. It's called investment. Do you realize how many braincells know how to use that OS? Sure, Apple likes to say that Mac OS X Server has the Mac look and feel, but what a lie that is. It's NextStep with a few gratuitous bitmaps slapped on it to make it look superficially like a Mac.

I'm sure you're right though, that Apple plans to scrapheap the Mac OS. Whether it's a mistake or not is for history to judge. But it sure will free up a lot of braincells for learning other OSes. But, the people who remain Mac users are the hardcore ones, there have been so many reasons to switch, the ones who use the Mac are using it for a reason, and their mouse-fingers will definitely be able to tell the difference. I know, as a former Mac-only user who's now primarily using NT, when I swirl around to use my Mac (mostly for PhotoShop and TypeStyler) I keep getting foiled because everything is in the wrong place. (From my point of view.)

Engineers worry about things like kernels and open and closed systems. I doubt if many Mac users do. Wait till they pull the plug on Mac OS for real, if they do, then you'll hear angst like you've never heard before. It'll be a true thing to behold. Then and only then will the Mac users understand what it's like to be "Steved". (Ask the people who bought PowerComputing machines for a clue.)