Re: Getting Steved

Author:Jonathan Hendry

"Really? It makes more sense? I have trouble with that. It's called investment."

Yes, and sometimes it's time to write off an investment. The house gets too big or too small. The old car needs too many repairs to keep alive. The old computer gets too slow. Did the investment serve you well? I would expect that it has.

Would you prefer Microsoft to release all their XML-related source code, or source code for their old hypertext format, WinHelp? There's a lot of investment in WinHelp, too. A lot of people might like WinHelp source code. Would it be very useful moving forward? Not at all.

"Do you realize how many braincells know how to use that OS? Sure, Apple likes to say that Mac OS X Server has the Mac look and feel, but what a lie that is. It's NextStep with a few gratuitous bitmaps slapped on it to make it look superficially like a Mac."

Dave, I'm not talking about MacOSX Server. I'm talking about OS X, which should have a much more Mac-like UI, will run 'Carboned' MacOS software, have less Unix exposed, etc.

Server doesn't have a very Mac-like UI, you're right. But I don't think Apple was shooting to duplicate the MacUI for the first release of OSX Server, and they certainly aren't claiming that they have. And this is also why they're not pushing OSX Server as a general MacOS replacement. What they did come up with is a lot more palatable to a Mac user than straight NextStep, and probably a lot easier than the prior Unix OSes they've shipped.

If OS X turns to have a sucky mishmash UI, then you'll be correct. I don't expect that to happen. At the very minimum I expect it to be much improved and more Mac-like.

"Engineers worry about things like kernels and open and closed systems. I doubt if many Mac users do."

Then why should they care which OS is opened up?

(And by the way, there's a very good chance that PowerComputing machines will end up being able to run OS X and OS X Server, thanks to the source being available.)