Slashdot moderation

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:3/25/1999; 1:13:05 PM
Topic:Slashdot moderation

Like a number of folks around here (hi Dave!), I read Slashdot. The stories are interesting, but the comments are as bad as Usenet.

So I tried fooling around with the moderation feature. If you haven't done so yet, create yourself a user account, turn moderation on, set your cutoff to 2, and sort by score.

Presto! Useful and interesting Slashdot comments. I'm suitably impressed. Unfortunately, the combined load of the new moderation and 600,000 hits/day seems to be slowing down Slashdot again. Oh, well.

There's a lot to be said for the DG approach. People tend to be more reasonable when they have to provide a name and somebody occasionally puts a halt to flamewars.