Re: Technography and dynamic templates

Author:Dave Rogers
Posted:3/25/1999; 3:36:54 PM
Topic:Technography and dynamic templates

I think I answered your questions in the last post, but I wanted to share some more ideas I had on my drive home from work. I mentioned that one of the ESC's I sit on has members from outside my command, so they aren't able to share documents on my LAN. The solution is to publish them on the web. This offers some advantages:

1. Everyone can see them, and if anyone wishes to share them with anyone else, they merely have to forward the link, not the document.

(Question: Does that conserve bandwidth? Is it more efficient from a network traffic standpoint to view an HTML web page, or send a Word-document as an attachment? Is that a trivial consideration?)

2. I believe a search feature could be implemented on the website to facilitate locating the specific references to a particular topic. My ISP would have to implement that for me, but I believe it's an option.

3. Web browsers offer bookmarking features which make it easy for people to bookmark a particular document for ready reference.

4. When I prepare an agenda for a new meeting, I upload it to the website and then shoot all the attendees the link for their review. When I present the meeting, the technographer uses a Word Outline with the appropriate links to the website for the relevant documentation.

It also poses a couple of barriers, though they don't appear significant. I have to use the "Save as HTML" option for many of my references, then in my case, have a third party upload them to our website. For text documents that's great. It becomes a little bit more challenging for tree charts, diagrams and the like. I'll have to check, but I don't believe there's a "Save As HTML" option in AllClear.

What I think is neat is that over time you would build a network of documented thoughts and actions which you could navigate in a variety of ways. You could walk the links backward in time, you could search for particular terms, or dates. It's interesting.