Re: Perl & Donuts

Author:James Spahr
Posted:3/27/1999; 10:23:05 PM
Topic:Perl & Donuts

Has anyone tried the Perl OSA component with Frontier (on the Mac)?

http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/public/packages/mac/applescript/scripts/MacPerl/MacPerl_OSA_28May95.sit.bin.Z

This is from the read me: May 28, 1995

WELCOME TO THE PERL 5 OSA PRERELEASE

This is a practically untested "proof of concept"-only release of the Perl OSA Component.

Maybe there is something more recent (I recall a Perl 4 one that was solid...)?.... (followup) umm, well I just searched through the mac-perl archives and came across these quotes concerning the above mentioned OSA compontent:

The limitations of the MacOS version of the OSA Perl plugin have little to do with lack of support from Apple (except that I ran into some obscure corners of the code fragment manager which seemed to be undocumented). I just lost interest in the current OSA component when it became evident what sort of memory consumption and startup time it had.

and this snipit:

"David C. Schooley" <schooley@ee.gatech.edu> writes:

Would it make since to use Frontier's approach in making a MacPerl OSA component? You would have the component available whenever MacPerl was running and you could get it out of the way when it wasn't needed.

response:

Problem is that MacPerl is not suitable to run multiple interpreters.