Spec-ing relationship (Re: Web browsers don't work)

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:3/28/1999; 11:00:07 AM
Topic:Build interfaces with xml: XUL (cnet article)

Designers need to look at the web and see the limitations and avoid them while they exploit the benefits.

Right on! I find myself, as a designer/geek, exploring dynamic layout much more- it's all relational. I can't control the size of my user's window, but I can specify that I want my nav bar 8 pixels fom the right edge of his window- wherever that is.

In print, we had control over what went where. Now, on the web, we're rediscovering the principles of design, in how the reader/user perceives information, and doing it in a changing environment. We begin to spec relationship, not location.

It's so cool.

--Steve