Re: Web browsers still don't work

Author:Bob Davis
Posted:3/28/1999; 12:00:55 PM
Topic:Build interfaces with xml: XUL (cnet article)

As bad as browsers are, they're not alone. Mail clients suck too. I had a meltdown on my NT machine last week, and thought it would be a good time to try another mail client - they're all tying to be browsers! I had to spend 1/2 hour on all of them trying to figure out how to send plain text, get the right .sig, muck with cumbersome filters/rules, etc. And then they still aren't very good (especially if you get 125+ messages or more a day - they seem to collapse under the weight).

I gave up. I use elm now. On my Mac, I have outlook express - which actually isn't bad (way better than outlook for windows - I lasted about 10 minutes with that pig.)

Nobody seems to be happy with being very good at one thing - they all have to be mediocre at everything, just so that they can say they have the feature sets. I just want a program that will read HTML that's written according to sstandards and present me with the rendered page. I don't need instant messaging, chat, news groups and mail in the same package.

Notice that Ferrari does not advertise the towing capacity of their cars. You want to tow? Buy a Lincoln.;)