Re: On-Line Outlining: netmeetings

Author:Bernie DeKoven
Posted:4/1/1999; 1:23:04 PM
Topic:An Experiment in On-Line Outlining

I explored an alternative today. I used NetMeetings, the software that comes free with every version of Internet Explorer (beginning with 4.1). We did a one-on-one meeting using the outliner on Microsoft Word. Essentially, this was very similar to using a product like Timbuktu. The host takes over the participant's computer and anything on the host's desktop gets piped directly to the participant. It worked. Latency was minimal. We could even share control.

It only worked for a one-on-one meeting, but it did work, and was definitely fast enough. Other tools, like MeetingPoint from CUCme, would also work in a similar manner, and allow us to do Technography point-to-multi-point.

What does this say for on-line Technography? That there's a brute force technology that will allow us to experiment with it. Clearly, NetMeetings is not the solution. The Frontier platform will offer us the opportunity to integrate whatever near-real-time capabilities we can develop with a host of other collaboration and publication tools. The synergy should prove powerful and empowering. But at least we have something to play with in the mean time, to experiment with on-line Technography and develop a better sense of how it will extend the range and effectiveness of what Frontier can offer.