Re: On-Line Outlining: technographer-controlled push

Author:Lixian B. Chiu
Posted:4/1/1999; 11:13:09 AM
Topic:An Experiment in On-Line Outlining

1) we figured out a way to make a consistent refresh at 4-6 seconds, or 2) the Push were under the control of the technographer.

The problem is, if we are targetting a browser use who doesn't have Frontier. We can't give the push control to the technographer. The browser has no sense of whether the technographer has done anything on the server. And, consistent refresh depends on many factors, such as what kind of connection the users have, how fast is the connection ...

We can do "push" but only for people who have a copy of Frontier, or having some kind of scripting system that does XML-RPC. But if all the user has is just a browser (and in some cases, a 2.0 browser), we won't have many choices.